Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2015 was introduced in Lok Sabha on 27-02-2015. The objective of the Bill is to further amend the Citizenship Act, 1955. Salient features of the Bill are as follows:
- Substitutes the words “overseas citizen of India” in the Citizenship Act, 1955 with that of “overseas citizen of India Cardholder” and provides a new definition thereto
- Substitutes the words “has been residing in India for one year” with that of “is ordinarily resident in India for twelve months”
- Inserts Section 5 (1 A) which provides that the Central Government, if it is satisfied that special circumstances exists, may after recording the circumstances in writing, relax the period of twelve months (mentioned above) upto a maximum of thirty days which may be in different breaks
- Substitutes Sections 7A, 7B, 7C and 7 D of the Citizenship Act to provide for-
Ø registration of Overseas Citizen of India Cardholder and also that the Persons of Indian Origin Cardholders shall be deemed to be Overseas Citizen of India Cardholders;
Ø conferment of rights on Overseas Citizen of India Cardholder;
Ø renunciation of Overseas Citizen of India Card;
Ø cancellation of registration as Overseas Citizen of India Cardholder.
- Repeals the Citizenship (Amendment) Ordinance, 2015.