G.S.R. 431(E).—The following draft rules further to amend the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989, which the Central Government proposes to make in exercise of the powers conferred by section 110 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 (59 of 1988) is hereby published as required by sub-section (1) of section 212 of the said Act for information of all persons likely to be affected thereby and notice is hereby given that the said draft rules shall be taken into consideration after expiry of a period of fifteen days from the date on which the copies of the Gazette of India containing the notification are made available to the public.
2. The objections or suggestions, if any to these draft rules, if any, may be sent to the Joint Secretary (Transport ), Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, Transport Bhawan, New Delhi-110 001.
3. Any objections or suggestions which may be received from any person with respect to the said draft rules before the expiry of the period aforesaid shall be considered by the Central Government.
1. (1) These rules may be called the Central Motor Vehicles (__ Amendment) Rules, 2017.
(2) They shall come into force on the date of their final publication in the Official Gazette.
2. In the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989 (hereinafter referred to as the principal rules), in Rule 47, in sub-rule (1), after clause (i), the following clause shall be inserted, namely:-
“(ia) proof of fitment of FASTag specified in Rule 138A;”.
3. In the principal rules, for the Rule 138A, the following rule shall be substituted, namely:-
“138A. Fitment of FASTag.- (1) Categories M and N motor vehicles manufactured on and after the 1st July, 2017, shall be fitted with FASTag having such specifications as may be specified by the Central Government:
Provided that in case of any vehicle which is sold in the form of drive-away-chassis without windscreen, such FASTag shall be fitted in the windscreen by the dealer at the time of providing such windscreen.
(2) The fitment of FASTag shall be verified by the registering authority at the time of registration.
Explanation – For the purposes of this rule, FASTag means an onboard unit (transponder) or any such device fitted on the front windscreen of the vehicle.
[F. No. RT-11028/16/2011-MVL]
Note : The principal rules were published in the Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part-II, Section 3, sub-section (i) vide notification number G.S.R. 590(E), dated the 2nd June, 1989 and lastly amended vide notification number G.S.R. (E) dated….
Ministry of Road Transport and Highways