The Department of Law, Aligarh Muslim University and EBC entered into an MoU to index all the articles published in the issues of Aligarh Law Journal (ALJ) on SCC Online. This will allow researchers all over the world to get access to this content using SCC Online‘s powerful search and browse capabilities.
The Department of Law, Aligarh Muslim University is the law school of the Aligarh Muslim University which has a history of over 100 years of teaching and writing law. In 2014, the faculty was listed on number 6 in India’s best law colleges list compiled by India Today which it retained in 2015 and 2016 as well.
The teaching of law was introduced in the year 1891. Sir Syed Ahmad Khan was greatly impressed by the programme of legal education in British Universities and was keen to incorporate law as a culminating discipline conducive to the moral, intellectual and material welfare of the students, passing out from the MAO College. A beginning was made with the three local pleaders providing part-time instruction on an honorary basis. Meanwhile, the search for a Law Professor was seriously undertaken by constituting a search committee consisting of Mr. Justice Douglas Straight and Mr. Justice Mahmood of the Allahabad High Court and Sir Arthur Strachey who was a practicing lawyer. The committee recommended Mir Karamat Husain for appointment as the first Law Professor of the MAO College. He joined on 12 July 1891. Justice Syed Mahmood presented his most valuable personal collection of law books to the Department of Law.
After Mir Karamat Husain, Sahebzadah Aftab Ahmad Khan was In-charge of the Department of Law up-to 1906. He was followed by Mr. Abdul Karim Khan, Mr. Syed Ali Naqi, Mr. M. Abdul Khaliq, Mr. M.A. Ishaq Khusro and Professor Hafizul Rahman. In 1960, the Department of Law which till then existed as a Department of the Faculty of Arts was developed into a full-fledged Faculty. Credit goes to late Prof. Hafizul Rahman that he developed a modern curriculum and initiated research. It is one of the oldest and premier faculties of India. Popularly it is known as the mother faculty because many reputed law faculties/institutions in India are flourished by its former students. It has produced innumerable legal icons serving the nation.
The Aligarh Law Journal is a reputed refereed law journal published annually by the Department.