Bombay High Court: A Single Judge Bench at Goa comprising of C.V. Bhadang, J., confirmed the decree of dissolution of marriage between the parties passed by Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta, Calgary, Canada.
An application under Article 1102 of the Portuguese Civil Code was filed seeking the confirmation of the abovesaid decree of the abovementioned Court. A perusal of the Certificate of Divorce issued by the competent court showed that the marriage between the parties was dissolved. It was evident from the Separation Agreement that the dissolution was by consent of parties.
The High Court reiterated the requirements for confirmation of such a decree, which included:
- Authenticity of the judgment as well as the correctness of the reasoning;
- Judgment of foreign court having become res judicata according to the law of the country;
- Judgment being delivered by a court of competent jurisdiction;
- Dispute between the parties not being subject to defences of lis pendens or res judicata.
- Defendant having been duly summoned;
- Judgment not going against the Portuguese public order; and
- Judgment having been delivered not in violation of any of the Portuguese Private Law.
The Court held that the requirements as listed above were satisfied in the instant case. The application was, thus, allowed. [Joaquim Cardozo v. Fanny Margaret Mascarenhas E. Cardozo, 2018 SCC OnLine Bom 1830, dated 26-07-2018]