Sambhaavnaa Institute for Public Policy, Palampur, Himachal Pradesh, is organising a winter school on ‘Rethinking Development’ called Nayi Dishayein from the 13th to 20th December 2018.
About the Institute :
Sambhaavnaa Institute, nestled in a small village called Kandwari, in the lap of the mighty Dhauladhar mountain ranges in Himachal Pradesh, is an alternative learning and living space for those concerned with social and political change. Founded under aegis of the Kumud Bhushan Education Society in 2004 Sambhaavnaa’s main mission has been to nurture value-based leadership by encouraging individuals, especially the youth; to discuss and develop a critical perspective on the ideals and ideas that define a just society.
Since 2011-12, Sambhaavnaa has emerged as a platform for a wide variety of individuals and organisations to engage and reflect on processes of transformation challenging the injustice that prevails in the society today.
Objectives of the Programme :
- Deconstruct, i.e., critically examine the notion of development.
- Examine the root causes of growing inequity in distribution of wealth and resources and in a society fractured along the lines of gender, caste, race, ethnicity, religion.
- Re-examine our belief systems, worldviews, privileges resulting from the power structures of caste, gender, religion, class and how they are linked with the notion of development.
- Examine how the state and its institutions of policy making and governance influence these power structures and vice versa.
- Assess possibilities of transformation through people’s action. An exposure to and dialogue on a range of initiatives/movement towards a just society.
The theme of the program is explored using interactive lectures, group work and group discussions, film screenings, collective reflection, and importantly, live experience sharing by activists.
Preferred Students : Students from Law, Political Science, Public Policy, Humanities and similar courses.
Language: Primarily in English and some Hindi
Last date to apply: 15th November 2018.
To apply, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org