Uttaranchal High Court: A Division Bench comprising of Rajiv Sharma and Sharad Kumar Sharma, JJ. gave directions to revive the ‘living entity’ Ganga.
A PIL was filed in order to improve the conditions of major Ganga ghats in the state. The High Court took note of the averment that the river Ganga and the area surrounding it had been severely polluted at the hands of the people and thus calls for an immediate action and considered the information furnished by the Commission, Municipal Commission, Haridwar.
The Court, in addition to its earlier directions, directed the respondents to:
- Invite tenders for installing 72 more CCTV Cameras to ensure that the area was regularly cleaned every three hours round the clock and was devoid of any litter so that there was no accumulation of garbage around the area.
- 100 state-of-the-art changing rooms and 300 toilets shall be constructed which were to be connected to the main sewerage line and no sewerage shall be permitted to be discharged directly into river Ganges.
- Pipes discharging sewage directly to the river shall be sealed and owner challaned.
- The pumping stations and treatment plants shall be functional as soon as possible.
- Drains were to be covered and properly cleaned.
- Make available sufficient funds for executing the above directions.
The petition was disposed of accordingly. [Narendra v. State of Uttarakhand, Writ Petition (PIL) No. 69 of 2018, Order dated 02-11-2018]