The Centre for Maritime Law, NLUO in collaboration with Ganesh & Co, Mumbai takes immense pleasure to announce the 1st NLUO – Ganesh & Co. National Maritime Law Essay Writing Competition, 2019. This competition bestows to act as a perfect opportunity for students to nurture their research and writing skills in the field of Maritime Law.
Last date of registration: July 25, 2019
Last date of submission: July 28, 2019
About the Competition
Maritime Law is a fundamental branch that governs commerce and navigation on the sea. It regulates a broad ambit of claims related to customs and excise regulation; fishing industries; insurance claim; employment issues of crew members; pollution by vessels; salvage operation; and piracy, etc. Awareness of such an important field is very much required among law students and legal fraternity.
With the view of increasing interest and creating awareness in the field of maritime law, the Centre in collaboration with Ganesh & Co, Mumbai is organizing 1st NLUO – Ganesh & Co. National Essay Writing Competition on Maritime Law, 2019. Also, through this essay competition the Centre seeks to encourage scholarly discussion among the students from the field of law.
We welcome submissions from all law students enrolled in 5 Year Integrated LLB, 3 Year LLB, LLM programme.
- Jurisdictional and enforcement issues in International Maritime Laws.
- Drafting of national laws to complement international law for effective enforcement: Indian context.
- Maritime boundaries and dispute in Indian Ocean Region.
- The role of arbitration in shipping law.
- Piracy and Maritime Terrorism.
- Autonomous Ships, and investment decisions.
- Effect of climate change on Maritime Zones.
- Emerging technological trends in Shipping and Maritime Industry.
- Environmental impact through shipping.
- Intersection of Human Rights and Maritime Law Enforcement.
Please Note: The above given themes are merely illustrative, participants are free to choose any theme/topic which pertains to maritime and shipping law.
- The essay must be English language only and the submission shall be in Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx format).
- Co-authorship to a maximum of two is permitted.
- Only one submission is allowed per author. Submissions, both as co-author and single, will be treated as multiple submissions and will be disqualified as an entry to the competition.
There should not be any form of identification mark such as the name of the author, University/College name etc. on the essay. Any form of identification will lead to disqualification.
- The essay should be of 2500 – 3000 words, excluding abstract and footnotes.
- The essay must contain an abstract of not more than 200 words including keywords
- The write-ups shall have no plagiarism and should be the original work of the participant.
- Main Body: Font: Times New Roman, Font Size – 12, Line Spacing – 1.5 and Alignment – Justified.
- Footnotes: Font: Times New Roman, Font Size – 10, Line Spacing – 1.0 and Alignment – Justified.
- Margins should be 1 inch or 2.54 cm on all sides.
- The participants shall follow Harvard Bluebook 20th Edition as the mode of Citation.
- There is no registration fee for this competition.
- The participants are required to register through this Google form on or before 11:59 pm, July 25, 2019.
- Essays must be sent by email at firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject “Submission for 1st NLUO – Ganesh & Co. National Maritime Law Essay Writing Competition 2019”. Kindly attach your University/college identity card or bonafide certificate with the mail to help us verify your credentials.
- The deadline for submission is 11:59 pm, July 28, 2019. Any submission received beyond the deadline will be rejected.
Please Note: Both the registration date and the date of submissions are different.
Prizes and Affirmative Benefits
- First Prize: Cash reward of 10,000 INR, one month Internship with our Partner Ganesh & Co. and publication on official Centre for Maritime Law Blog.
- Second Prize: Cash reward 6,000 INR and publication on official Centre for Maritime Law Blog.
- Third Prize: Cash reward 4,000 INR and publication on official Centre for Maritime Law Blog.
In addition to the top three winners, 7 selected essays will be published on the official blog of Centre for Maritime Law (CML Blog) and the participants will be awarded with a publication certificate.
Double-blind peer review shall be followed as the method of evaluation.
Last Date of Registration:
Last date of Submission:
Date of Declaration of Results: September 20th 2019
For more information refer to our Brochure.
Please find the official notification here
Visit our official Official Blog
For any query mail us at email@example.com
Avni Sharma: +91-6265074179
Kartik Bhalotiya: +91-7990316348