Ministry of Railways has directed all Railway units to enforce a ban on single-use plastic material, with less than 50-micron thickness from 2nd October, 2019. Emphasis is on making necessary arrangements to minimize the generation of plastic waste and its eco- friendly disposal.
In this regard, the Ministry of Railways has issued a circular stating the following instructions are to be enforced: w.e.f. 02-10-2019:
- Ban on single-use plastic material
- All railway vendors to avoid the use of plastic carry bags
- Staff should reduce, reuse and refuse plastic products and use inexpensive reusable bags to reduce plastic footprint.
- IRCTC to implement the return of plastic drinking water bottles as part of Extended Producer Responsibility.
- Plastic Bottle crushing machines to be provided expeditiously.
Strict enforcement of these instructions is to be from 02-10-2019, to give enough time to all concerned to prepare for “Plastic Free Railway”.
Ministry of Railways has also instructed its Railway units that a pledge can be administered on 2ndOctober, 2019 to cut the use of plastics. Also, Information, Education & Communication (IEC) measures are to be adapted to create awareness among railway users.
Ministry of Railways